This is a guide on how to choose the best model for you.
Many people have bought something and are now ready to buy something else. Around 40% of the people who walk through our door have a motorhome or caravan, or are familiar with this lifestyle. 60 % of people are brand new to motorhomes and are trying them out for the first time. It can be difficult to buy something that you’ve never used before. That’s why it is important to use the right research tools. For those looking for caravans for sale in Christchurch, our diverse selection caters to both experienced enthusiasts and newcomers to the motorhome lifestyle.
It is perfectly fine to exchange your old item for something better suited to you. It is quite common in the world of motorhomes.
First-time buyers: Here are our top tips for a successful purchase
- Try before you buy – You should always rent before buying. However, your motorhome will be different from the rental fleet. Leisure Shed is a great way to research brands that you are interested in. It’s similar to Airbnb, but for motorhomes or caravans. Speak to your dealer. You may be able to find boutique rental companies that rent out a specific brand. Leisure Shed rents the Benimar range and offers a premium service to allow you to experience an authentic motorhome journey.
- Instead of focusing on the floorplans that you like, start with what you enjoy doing/where you want to go/how you intend to use the motorhome. You will then focus more on the overall experience than the floorplan you might like.
Consider this analogy. You may be focusing on the floorplan (e.g. If you’re only focused on the floorplan (e.g. What city? What is it about a particular city that you enjoy? You want to try the local food? What about the nightlife? You should start by deciding what you want from your motorhome, then decide if the hotel or motorhome is a secondary consideration.
- You should take a friend’s advice with a pinch of salt. It may sound controversial, but it is important to ask friends for their opinions on companies, warranties, after-sales services, and other feedback about the places where you can purchase. I wonder, given how many people say that their motorhome is best.
Ask them what they do with it. What are their hobbies on the road, and what do they like to do? What are their favorite places? What makes the model so perfect for their lifestyle?
- Interview your sales consultant. We offer a consultation to help you determine what products will best suit your travel personality and hobbies. It is a great resource for those who are new to this lifestyle. Ask the salesperson why they prefer one model to another for your specific purpose. This method of “on-yard research” will allow you to get more accurate feedback and guidance about certain models.
Do not be discouraged if, after purchasing something, you decide to change it in the future. It’s normal to change your mind. Motorhomes can be expensive, but if you purchase them at the right price, it won’t have a huge impact on your budget.
Change your motorhome or a caravan
The most common reasons for changing motorhomes and caravans
- Age – If you are in your 40s and you want to motor home, you may enjoy something different than if you were in your 80s. Our Coromandel floorplan, with its bed above the cab and large lounge, is very popular among our younger demographics. As knees and lower backs begin to hurt, an island-bed model is more appropriate.
- Driving Confidence – A vehicle with plenty of room and a large slide-out is ideal, but will most likely require a class 2 licence. You can get your class 2 driver’s license without much difficulty, but you will need to undergo a medical. Find out more here. As their driving confidence increases, many people want something smaller and more agile to drive.
- Bedding configuration- The floorplan can be affected by the bedding configuration.
- Hobbies change- You might have bought a vehicle to tow a vessel or something that has oodles of storage, but you no longer need it or use it.
- Moving from or to full-time – We often see people who have purchased RVs for full-time use but moved to a permanent home and spend less time on the roads.
It is not uncommon for people to change jobs. You’ll know more about your options when you start researching or shopping for a new home. You should take the time to do your research and most importantly, know why you are changing. When you change and chop floorplans to find the “perfect solution”, it can be a costly mistake. There will always be compromises and negotiations when making a purchase. Here are a few easy steps you can follow to make sure your upgrade/change will be a success.
1. Clarify your reasons for change. Ask yourself these questions:
- What is your “pain point”, the thing you would like to change?
- How much money are you willing spend to “solve that pain”?
- How has that “painful” experience affected your travel enjoyment?
- What do you want to achieve with this new model that you cannot do now?
2. You can get a vehicle valuation and decide how to sell it. (Trade or sell your own vehicle, or use Leisure shed Groups’ sale on behalf service).
3. TradeMe is a great place to start your research.
4. Imagine you’re thinking of moving up to a new Leisure shed Built build. You should also consider the timeline and when you will be able to sell your vehicle in order to maximize returns. (Maybe during winter, when there are fewer vehicles on sale OR as summer approaches). Ask yourself if it is possible to live without your motorhome or caravan a bit.
5. TradeMe has seen some people advertise their vehicles with “handover dates” in the future, after pre-planned trips and closer to the pickup of a motorhome or caravan. This is a great way of securing a sale while reducing the risk of having two vehicles.
6. Leisure shed will often suggest that you make a purchase that is then converted into a trade the day that you receive your new motorhome. This reduces your risk and improves your chances to minimize your changeover costs.
7. Consider the cost of changeover rather than the cost now vs then. Prices have probably changed (depending on the age of your vehicle) since you bought it, so comparing them now with those from when you purchased is not a good idea. Thanks, 7% plus inflation! Talk to a representative of Leisure shed about the possible price change.
It is important to obtain a valuation for anyone looking to upgrade, downgrade, or change their vehicle. This will help you understand what the costs are and how much your conversion might cost. Leisure shed provides a valuation service to those who are interested in purchasing one of its brands. They also have some tips on how to maximize the return when you sell your current model.