Add these to your list as well: A Mexican-inspired 6-layer pinwheel, the perfect side dish or appetizer for Mexican night.
It’s true; you can make a pinwheel in less than 30 minutes and six layers. These Mexican-inspired ingredients are the key to this recipe.
They are portable, savory, creamy, and slightly crunchy due to the onion. You can make these pinwheels up to two days ahead of time for the organized among us.
Where and how would you enjoy these pinwheels? Make these pinwheels to enjoy as a snack during the week or at a gathering with friends. They’re so delicious that no one will ever guess that they are vegan.
- Two large vegan flour tortillas
- Divided into 34 cups of Spreadable Mexican Cheese ( optional).
- 1/3 cup vegan refried bean (I love the Trader Joe’s brand // divided).
- Half a medium avocado, finely diced or sliced
- Half a cup of red onion, finely diced
- Half a cup of finely diced tomatoes (or chunky sauce) (extra liquid drained/divided).
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepare first if you are using Spreadable Vegan Cheese Mexican. If not, continue to the next step.
- Spread a thin layer (about half the amount) of spreadable cheese on one tortilla.
- Spread out 1/3 cup of refried beans on top. Continue to layer with 1/4 avocados, 1/4 cup onion, 1/4 cup tomato or salsa, and 1/4 cup cilantro. Use the photo series to guide you.
- You can use your hands to flatten the ingredients so that it is easier to roll. Roll tightly from one end towards the other, and then place seam-side down on a board. It’s okay if some ingredients come out when you roll the tortilla. This is a heavy pinwheel. Just scrape it away and continue.
- Start in the middle of the tortilla and roll it tight, working outwards towards the edges. This will help to form the fillings together and make it easier to slice.
- Slice the pinwheel into 8-10 1/2-inch pieces using a serrated blade (blanket-edged knives can smash it).
- Repeat the same process with a second tortilla. You should get 20 pinwheels.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.