You can make a delicious, creamy, thick, and tangy vegan Mayo! This is easy.
This recipe is easy to make and only takes 5 Minutes. 6 Ingredients.
This recipe was originally made using a hand mixer, but it didn’t work well for everyone. It also depends on your mixer’s power! After more testing, I now know how to make a mayo that is always perfect.
Aquafaba is the base, which is the liquid/brine left in a chickpea can. It is then blended with mustard powder, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar syrup, and salt to add flavor. The neutral oil is then added to give it body and creaminess. We found that sunflower oil worked best, but avocado also works (but produces slightly thinner mayo).
- 1/4 cup Aquafaba (the liquid/brine found in the can of chickpeas cooked)
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 – 3 tsp of brown rice syrup*
- You can use avocado oil or even canola oil.
- Blend on high with an immersion blender (we haven’t had good results with traditional blenders). For best results, use an Immersion blender.
- Pour the oil into a measuring cup with a spout. With the immersion blender set to its highest speed and the drips on the lowest setting, slowly add the oil. Add the oil slowly in a stream about the size of a toothpick. Slowly adding the oil supports the immersion process.
- As you near the end, move the immersion blender upwards and downwards to incorporate some air. Add more oil if it looks too thin. Add more oil to make the texture creamier, denser, and thicker. The recommended amount of fat is all you need.
- Add more vinegar to add tanginess (keep in mind that maple syrup will reduce the thickness + fluffiness), salt for saltiness, or ground mustard to add mustard flavor. I added more of each.
- Use immediately, or place in a sealed container and refrigerate until cold (about 4 hours). The sauce will thicken more in the refrigerator! Keep leftovers in your refrigerator for up to two weeks (and sometimes even longer). Mold will tell you if it is bad. It is not freezer-friendly. Ideal for sandwiches, salads, and sauces!